The Waste Management Department has been mandated to provide facilities, infrastructura1 services and programmes for effective and efficient waste management for the improvement in environmental sanitation, the protection of the environment and the promotion of public health.
The Department shall
- service toilets and dispose of human waste collected from public and private sanitary facilities;
- provide technical support to the Metro. Assemblies on the operation and maintenance of public toilets under private management
- supervise and control the operation of cesspool emptiers and allied equipment;
- receive and provide adequate treatment and effective disposal of both solid and liquid waste;
- treat and dispose of solid waste and provide compost manure;
- supervise the cleansing of drains, streets, markets, car parks and weeding of road sides and open spaces;
- inspect and maintain sanitary facilities in the metropolis; or
- advise the Assembly on recycling and other uses of waste materials.