The Social Welfare and Community Development Department shall assist the Assembly to formulate and implement social welfare and community development policies within the framework of national policy.
The Department shall
(a) facilitate community-based rehabilitation of persons with disabilities; (b) assist and facilitate provision of community care services including:
- registration of persons with disabilities;
- assistance to the aged;
- social welfare services;
- hospital welfare services;
- assistance to street children, child survival and development; and
- socio-economic and emotional stability in families;
- assist to maintain specialized residential services in the Metro;
- facilitate the registration and supervision of non-governmental organizations and their activities in the Metro.;
- assist to organize community development programmes to improve and enrich rural life through:
- Literacy and adult education classes;
- Voluntary contribution and communal labour for the provision of facilities and services such as water, schools, library, community centres and public places of convenience or;
- teaching deprived or rural women in home management and child care.