The Metropolitan Assembly is required to perform all the functions conferred on District Assemblies by the Local Government Act (1993), Act 462 and the Legislative Instrument, 2012, LI 2033 that established the District.
These functions are summarized as follows:
- The day-to-day administration of the Metropolis.
- Implementation of Government policies and programmes.
- Mobilisation of material and human resources for the development of the District.
- Management of the allocation of District Assemblies Common Fund and other grants for the provision of public amenities/social infrastructure such as schools, water, electricity and health sanitation facilities.
- Passing and enforcement of bye-laws to regulate public behaviour.
- Preparation and approval of development plans to regulate/control physical development.
- Ensuring peace and security in the Metropolis.
- Supervision of sub-structures of the Assembly.
- Co-ordination of plans of Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) to avoid duplication of efforts, etc.
- Investing in income-generating activities.
- Assuming responsibility for the overall development of the Metropolis.
- To establish, maintain and control parks for motor and other vehicles
- Subject to the control and direction of the Registrar of Births and Deaths, to register all births and deaths occurring within the Metropolis,
- To facilitate the promotion of tourism in the Metropolis in co-operation with other concerned stakeholders
- To regulate or prohibit the planting, cutting, tapping, or destruction of any tree or vegetation in the metropolis,
- To render relief services in the form of supply of material during natural disasters